Monday, January 24, 2011

Oh hello, reality.

Roy joined the Air Force only a couple months after we got married. Because he was accepted for such a specialty job, he didn't leave until May, missing my birthday and our first anniversary.
Until now, I haven't considered myself a 'real' military wife; as we have never been through a deployment. We joined the Air Force so that Roy would deploy to a safe place that the Army and Marines laugh at, like Qatar or somewhere in Europe.
Not so much. My husband is going to Afghanistan. He will miss my birthday and our anniversary again, he'll miss Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and Valentine's Day. He'll have to suffer through both the winter and the summer in the desert.
There are probably going to be long stretches of time that I won't have contact with him, and the internet is so slow that I don't even know if we'll be able to skype at all. So it's email. Just like boot camp, only longer. And it's actually dangerous, not just in a someone-steps-on-his-hand-and-breaks-it dangerous. Like, a there-is-a-high-chance-he'll-get-blown-up dangerous.
We are both trying to be as positive as possible. It's not as long as long as other branches of the military, and he does have a safer job than a lot of people there. What majorly sucks, is that the absolute soonest I'd be able to get pregnant is March of next year. And that sucks. A lot. I started my period today, so I'm obviously not pregnant now; and I'm not going to intentionally get pregnant with a due date I know my husband will be in a war-torn country for with no skype and limited phone calls. Sooooooo.....plans are put on hold. :/
I'm sure I'll be blogging a lot more now that I'll have more time that I need to keep myself distracted. :)
About to enter the Silent Ranks,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment