Saturday, June 18, 2011

Medroxyprogesterone

This lovely medication is what I'm going to start taking on Monday. A normal woman's cycle is beteen 28 and 32 days. I am currently on day 46. I should have started about 2 weeks ago, but my uterus hates me. So here I am; not pregnant (we did a urine test, blood test, and ultrasound), but still no period. So I need to take medroxyprogesterone (or Prevera), to jump start my period. %90 of the time I am very regular with my cycles. I start a new period every 29-30 days, I ovulate on either day 15 or 16....you get the idea. Pretty standard, and just about the only reliable thing in this whole infertility mess.

See, the only thing is....Prevera is the devil. I have heard such horror stories about it, I'm terrified to take it. Here are the side effects I can expect; heart disease, blood clots, high/low blood pressure, heart palpitations, nausea, bloating, weight gain (oh goody. If you aren't aware, EVERY infertility drug causes bloating and weight gain. Seriously. I've checked. It sucks.), breast tenderness, headache, unusual vaginal discharge (Sounds fun? I wish they would have been more specific...), violent mood swings (I really hope I still have a husband after I'm done taking this), blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, swelling of the hands/feet, frequent/burning/painful urination, breast lumps, dark patches on the skin or face (great!), yellowing eyes, extreme fatigue. Sounds like someone you want to make a baby with, huh?

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Just hoping hubby and I come out of this alive,
Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Those actually sound an awful lot like late pregnancy. Maybe the pharmaceutical companies, thoughtful people that they are, are just getting women ready for the third trimester? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural progesterone can accomplish the same thing without all the nasty side effects. But you need to use the either the skin cream or vaginal suppositories, not the oral form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just took progestrone for the opposite problem, 3 week or more periods. It was to jump start. The verdict is still out if it works. Hope yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen- I wish I would have known that before I started! Provera was miserable, natural progesterone would have been much better!
    Thanks, Teresa! Mine worked, hoping yours did as well. :)

    ReplyDelete