Saturday, June 18, 2011

Our new doctor

I haven't blogged in awhile. My apologies. It really is because there hasn't been much to blog about. We have taken a month or two off from trying to conceive while waiting to see our new doctor. I was a little frustrated because; of course, I wanted to see him NOW. In reality we got very lucky. The waiting list was usually over 6 months long (that's not unusual for an RE), and we got in to see him in about two.

I was really nervous and excited to see a new doctor. We have had our share of bad doctors, and we have had our share of doctors that were pretty upset we knew more than they did about fertility. We have also had our share of doctors that dragged their feet and were only willing to do one test every couple of months. So I was; understandably, nervous about what approach he was willing to take and how agressive he was willing to be. We have had more than one doctor tell us that we shouldn't be in a hurry because we are young still. We have plenty of time to worry about babies. :/ Roy; my wonderful Aspie husband, was indifferent. He told me, "Your stress isn't going to make him better or worse. Just chill out. I don't understand you."
Finally the nurse came in and got me weighed, took my vitals. Asked some basic questions and said the doctor would be right in. For those of you that don't know, RE's do a lot of transvaginal ultrasounds. Which means the ultrasound wand is long and skinny and there is an upward view of your uterus and ovaries from your vagina instead of your belly. Yes, they stick the wand up your vagina. So; since they do a lot of these at different times in a woman's cycle to monitor growth of follicles and ovaries, check for tube blockages, check for early pregnancies, etc, there is one in every room (an ultrasound machine with a transvaginal wand, that is).

And something you must know about Aspies; they are very sensory oriented, and Roy likes soft things that are kind of squishy. Like the pre-lubed transvaginal wand with a sanitary cover on it. I saw it, saw him, and knew he was going to try to touch it. I waited for him to reach it and sharply told him, "That is going in my VAGINA! Don't contaminate it!!! Keep your hands to yourself or you will have to wait in the lobby!" He was good and didn't reach for it again. I went to the bathroom to change into the sexy paper gowns they give you; and when I came out Roy had a very embarrassed/guilty look on his face, and I knew he had touched it. I saw the ultrasound wand, and the protective paper had come off, and the gel was oozing out the bottom of the rolled up plastic cover. I asked him in my whisper-yell voice, "How in the heck did you even do that???? Why did you touch it?? I was gone for less than 2 minutes!!!" He looked like he felt really bad and just said, "I had to touch it. It felt really nice, so I kinda squeezed it a little and stuff just started happening. We need to find where they keep the spares and just replace it. They'll never know!" Well, we couldn't find a replacement for it, so we just cleaned it up a bit and threw the paper away like it was never there.

At that point I had to go to the bathroom; so I told him, "I'm going to the bathroom. If you touch ANYTHING I will kill you dead, understand? Dead!" He nodded and sat on his hands. When I came back out he let out a very loud fart. I glared at him and said, "You know now that you did that the doctor is going to--" and the doctor knocked and walked in. It.Smelled.So.Bad. I was caught between wanting to giggle like a 5 year old or saying, "It wasn't me!!!" It was a trainwreck already.

To top it off; when I was getting into the stirrups (man, I hate those things!) I got this massive charlie horse in my thigh, which forced my leg to be contorted in the opposite direction it was supposed to be. So instead of being covered by the paper gown and my legs only a little open; The gown slid off and I was flashing my crotch to everyone in the room and almost fell off the table. At least we got it all out of the way and the poor doctor knows what to expect from us from now on. :/ I thought about asking him if he could tell I did kegels all the time; but I figured we'd all been embarrassed enough for one day.

On the upside; our new doctor is really nice. He sees no reason to postpone anything and wants to jump right into finishing up our testing and starting back up with our treatments. I told him, "By this time next year, I want at least one baby in my arms." He said that he sees no reason why that wouldn't be the case. I'm so happy!!! :D He is willing to be as agressive as we want to be and is VERY knowledgable. He's the first doctor to teach me something about fertility. :) And to top it all off, he's really attractive. :) So all in all not a bad visit. Believe it or not; that wasn't our worst doctor's appointment. :/

Cautiously hopefull, still bitter,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I HATE transvaginal ultrasounds. I had to get one every 6 months for awhile and was so happy when I stopped needing them. All they do is remind me of when I was sick.

    I am so happy that you and Roy are getting along well with the new doctor. I particularly love his positive, 'why wouldn't you have a baby next year' attitude. A little Dawson is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete