Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My HSG

I haven't blogged in awhile. I wrote a ridiculously long blog about my HSG, but it got eaten by the internet boogey man and I didn't have the patience to re-write it. In short, it went fine. It was determined that I have a cervix; my uterus is of normal shape, my tubes are clear, and my pain tolerance is rather high.

Apparently there have been many women that cannot even finish the HSG, it is too painful and the doctor has to stop. And they had taken the strong pain medicine a half hour before hand. I forgot my pills at home, so I was going through it au-naturale. I was understandably worried as they explained the contrast was refrigerated and I put on 3 robes and 2 blankets. I tried to play it cool, making a joke here and there as we waited for the doctor. My wonderful hubby knew better though, and rubbed my shoulder and kissed my forehead comfortingly.

Then the doctor came in and explained the process to me again, and asked if I had taken the medication 30 min prior. I hesitantly said, "Well, no." He asked if I had taken it sooner, and that it probably wasn't a big deal; it would kick in before they started the procedure. I said, "Well, actually I forgot it at home so I haven't taken it at all is that a problem I think I'll be okay?" in one nervous breath. I squeezed Roy's hand for comfort, wondering if perhaps I should have just lied and pretended I was a massive baby as my screams could be heard throughout the whole wing of the hospital. The doctor told me, "Well, we can try it if you want. We really suggest the medication though because most women have a very hard time even with the medication. A lot of the time we have to stop because it is too painful for them. We'll try it, but I don't know if we'll be able to get the information we need." I bravely said I was up for it.

I climbed on the table as the doctor and nurse prepared everything. I was so anxious I was shaking as they put my legs in the stirrups and put a high wedge underneath my bottom. My heart was pounding in my chest and my hands and feet felt ice cold as the doctor did a quick pelvic exam and declared, "You have a cervix. That's good." o.O Roy was recording the whole thing, so it gave me some incentive to be brave; but I clutched the blankets for dear life as he inserted the catheter. A little uncomfortable, but no pain. Then they inflated the balloon to hold the catheter in place while the contrast was being pushed through my uterus. That was a bit painful but nothing too serious, (I believe I let out a "ooooooh!" as it was inflated) and they told me the worst part was over. Then came the contrast. I was very cold! It made my teeth chatter a bit and gave me the chills. They took pictures of my uterus as the contrast was going through it; deflated the balloon, removed everything, had me lay there for a minute, then that was it! I wish I would have taken a picture of the lube and blood puddle that was left behind me. There was a good amount of blood, but Roy said it was too gross for the general public. :/ I strutted back to my shoes and purse like I was Wonderwoman as the doctor and nurse told me how wonderful I was, and I handled it SOOOOOOOO much better than the other women that get it done (and I did it with no pain meds!). Proud as a peacock I got dressed and waddled out to the parking lot. I made Roy bring me the car because I was still having some pretty nasty cramps, but I did AWESOME! :D I am so going to rock childbirth! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment